I don’t know why, but I had this feeling back in college that I’ll live only until 30. Maybe it was because I had frequent migraine attacks back then (at least twice a week that time), so I was paranoid I might have brain cancer. So on my 20th birthday, I started this list of 30 things to do before I hit 30 (and die).
Maintain my three academic scholarships until university graduation. Support myself and my family financially(I’m the family breadwinner and was a self-supporting working student.) Lead my own leadership group (and hopefully make an impact in the lives of other students) Graduate BS Chemical Engineering as cum laude(Graduated magna cum laude, University of the Philippines Diliman) Travel to another country before graduating college (for free since I’m broke)(Spent a week in Malaysia during my 5th year in college courtesy of Shell. Everything’s free, of course, as I’m broke.) Have a job offer even before graduating college(Unilever offered me the Management Trainee/Assistant Manager position before my graduation.) Provide sufficient capital for my mom to jumpstart her own grocery/feeds business Become a board/licensure exam top notcher(Placed 6th in the chemical engineering licensure exams while working full-time.) Work in Chevron as a reservoir engineer(Well, not exactly. Working as a reservoir engineer for Chevron’s competitor.) Send my siblings to school Write something that will be published in books or newspapers Get published in a scientific journal Start writing a book or blog Study abroad(Studied as a Fellow in the United Nations University in Reykjavik, Iceland)
- Join a competition where I could exhibit my physical skills
- Become a guest speaker in school recognition or graduation ceremony
Singapore South Korea Travel to any European country(Lived in Iceland for 6 months. Toured 6 countries in Western Europe – France, Italy, Austria, Germany, the Netherlands, and Switzerland.)
- Travel to Brazil or Argentina or any country in Latin America
- Spend vacation in Maldives or Caribbean Islands (okay, if this seems too lofty, a vacation in El Nido, Palawan will do. haha!)
Own a condo or house and lot
- Own a car (not necessarily top-of-the line)
- Sponsor scholarships to poor but deserving students (at least one student by 30)
Experience snow or stand on a glacier
- Six-pack abs
Get totally drunk (extra points if I vomit)(Got the extra points) Travel with siblings abroad to spend a well-deserved vacation. Experience water rafting, surfing, zip line, ice skating,skiing, sky diving, scuba diving, bungee jumping
- Marry a woman who reads. And writes. And travels. And beautiful. And has a good heart. (yeah, with these criteria, I have a feeling I won’t be marrying at all. Too sad.)
– updated as of August 2016 at 28 y.o.